The Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator can be used to calculate BMI value and corresponding weight status while taking age into consideration. Use the “Metric Units” tab for the International System of Units or the “Other Units” tab to convert units into either US or metric units. Note that the calculator also computes the Ponderal Index in addition to BMI, both of which are discussed below in detail.
BMI is a measurement of a person’s leanness or corpulence based on their height and weight and is intended to quantify tissue mass. It is widely used as a general indicator of whether a person has a healthy body weight for their height. Specifically, the value obtained from the calculation of BMI is used to categorize whether a person is underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese depending on what range the value falls between. These ranges of BMI vary based on factors such as region and age and are sometimes further divided into subcategories such as severely underweight or very severely obese. Being overweight or underweight can have significant health effects, so while BMI is an imperfect measure of healthy body weight, it is a useful indicator of whether any additional testing or action is required. Refer to the table below to see the different categories based on BMI that are used by the calculator.
BMI Calculator table for adults
This is the World Health Organization’s (WHO) recommended body weight based on BMI values for adults. It is used for both men and women, age 18 or older.
What is BMI Calculator?
- BMI Calculator is free app that allows you to monitor BMI and percentage of fat in your body.
- Ideal weight – app calculates the ideal weight you should gain.
- To calculate it app uses the D. R. Miller formula.
- Body fat percentage is estimated from BMI by formula derived by Deurenberg and co-workers.
- All measurements use information about your body: gender, age, height and weight.
- App is designed for people of different ages and supports for both metric and imperial.
- Track your BMI and stay healthy!